This week we will address simple DON’Ts on websites. Those are often easy to fix and mainly have to do with the user experience while visiting your site. Next week, we will cover the DOs so visit us again for more easy tips on how to make your website perfect.
We are always welcoming new customers so if you feel your site would benefits from simple and affordable edits, call us at (707) 794-9999 PST.
- Don’t distract your visitors with blinking or scrolling text, animated images, or auto-loading sound.
- Don’t annoy your visitors with pop-up windows unless absolutely necessary (Example: Asking people if they are over 21 years of age if you sell alcohol).
- Don’t make the visitors go through loops to find simple pages like the Contact Page. Hiding the contact page ensures they will not buy from you.
- Don’t hide the home button. It is still standard and expected to have a Back to the Homepage link clearly marked, typically on the left end side of your navigation menu.
- Don’t use white font on back background. You might personally like it but most people do not.
- Don’t make the text too small.
- Don’t MAKE ALL YOUR TEXT ALL CAPS.
- Don’t use exclamation points everywhere!!!!
- Don’t open internal links into a new window. This action is best used for external URL or PDF documents.
- Don’t forget to have Alt Tags for all of your images to stay ADA compliant.
- Don’t steal content… ever.
- Don’t hotlink to images hosted on a different platform. They will stop working at some point. Instead, host your images on your server.
- Don’t forget to check your website on mobile devices. This is 2013 for goodness sake. 60% of people use a mobile device (don’t fight it).